In need of a quick, easy, but tasty breakfast that doesn’t require 30 minutes of prep before morning training? These apple cinnamon overnight oats are perfect for any athlete on-the-go. It’s overnight oats, but with a twist inspired by the classic dessert.
Overnight oats are a great breakfast option, especially for your busy mornings. Eating breakfast is important for fueling yourself throughout practice, throughout your day and shouldn’t be skipped!
This recipe is perfect before training because overnight oats are quick to make without sacrificing flavor. Preparing these oats the night before takes less than 5 minutes and you can just take these out of the fridge the morning after to enjoy immediately. No cooking required!
If you’re looking for a more basic overnight oats recipe, check out my classic overnight oats.
I love apple pie, but it probably isn’t the best idea to eat pie first thing in the morning or before an early practice. Load these up with some toppings like nuts, whole-grain cereal, or fruit to make your own “dessert-for-breakfast” that is full of great nutrition.
Important Preparation Tips
- For best results use old fashioned oats, not instant oatmeal or steel-cut oats.
- This recipe is a great pre-morning training meal because it takes no prep in the morning and is full of the complex carbs you need to fuel yourself for a hard training session. Prep it in individual containers or make a big batch for the week!
- The protein powder isn’t technically needed for the recipe, but including it makes the meal more balanced. Protein is important for recovery, muscle maintenance, and muscle growth, so I highly recommend adding it. If you don’t have protein powder, I suggest adding some vanilla Greek yogurt mixed in or as a topping.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk*
- 1/2 cup apple chunk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder**
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or tight lid container.
- Refrigerate oats over night.
- Remove from the fridge and top with your favorite toppings prior to eating.